Thursday, March 13, 2014

My Financial Planning Experience (Part 3)

With all the plans in place, the next step was to set a financial target in the accumulation of a net worth of RM1 million. There are 2 key variables in the formula of wealth accumulation, i.e. annual savings and the investment return for the annual savings.

Initially in the 1st scenario, I set an annual saving target of RM10,000 and together with an annual investment return rate of 10%, I realised I may not be able to achieve the mark of RM1 million within 20 years or before age 40. Below is the illustration that I could only achieve a networth of approximately RM640,000 within 20 years.


Scenario 1


In view of the above, I revised the variable on the annual savings from RM10,000 to RM20,000, and I would be able to reach the mark of RM1 million in year 18 as shown in 2nd scenario below:

Scenario 2

Well, I was not content with the result of only achieving the mark of 1st million net worth in year 18, I wanted to make this happens more earlier. So subsequent 2 more scenarios with the assumptions that I could up the higher annual rate of return to 20% and/or have my savings increment will inflate at a rate of 3% annually.

Scenario 3

Scenario 4

Looks like the 4th scenario would be the ideal plan on meeting my 1st pail of gold within 12 years. I was excited and started to dream that should I not only work hard so I would earn and save more and have salary/savings increment, but I would also spend time on doing lot of research in finding good investments with an annual return of 20%, then I would be able to be a millionaire when I’m at age of 32!

This year I’m at the age of 31, am I close to be a millionaire now? Well, things seem not going as planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment